Berkeley Lab

Lab History

This five-inch model was the first successful cyclotron built by E.O. Lawrence (1931)

Scientific and technical staff with the magnet for the 60” cyclotron (1938)

E.O. Lawrence’s two children, Eric and Margaret, inside the two-chamber tank for the 60” cyclotron (1939).

Ernest Orlando Lawrence at the controls of the 60-inch cyclotron (located on campus) with Dr. Raymond, Edwin McMillan, and William Salisbury standing behind control panel (1939).

Western Union cable notifying E. O. Lawrence he won the Nobel Prize in physics (1939).

Pastoral view of the future site for the 184-inch cyclotron, where the Lab is currently located (1940).

Famed muralist Diego Rivera (right) and E.O. Lawrence (1940).

E.O. Lawrence on the site that would become the present-day location of the Lab, located in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus (1940)

Construction of the 184-inch cyclotron. Today it houses the Advanced Light Source (1941).

Women tape magnet coils for the 184-inch cyclotron (1943).

E. O. Lawrence, Glenn Seaborg, and Robert Oppenheimer at the controls to the magnet of the 184-inch cyclotron, which was being converted from its wartime use to its original purpose (1946)

Aerial view of Lab’s 184” cyclotron with Memorial Stadium in foreground (1946)

Glenn Seaborg (left) escorts John F. Kennedy and Defense Secretary Robert McNamara during a visit to the Lab (1962)